Money and benefits for those with cancer

Having treatment for cancer might mean that you have to reduce or stop work, this can make it difficult to cope financially. However, there are a number of government benefits that you could be eligible for:

  • If you have cancer or you are caring for someone with cancer, you may be entitled to financial support.
  • If you have a job but can not work because of your illness, you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay from your employer.
  • If you do not have a job and cannot work because of your illness, you may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance.
  • If you are caring for someone with cancer, you may be entitled to Carers Allowance.
  • You may be eligible for other benefits if you have children living at home or you have a low household income.

It is a good idea to find out early on what help is available to you. You could ask to speak to the social worker at your hospital, who will be able give you the information you need.

Free prescriptions
People being treated for cancer are entitled to apply for an exemption certificate giving free prescriptions for all medication, including that which treats unrelated conditions.

The certificate is valid for five years and you can apply for a certificate by speaking to your GP or cancer specialist.

Want to know more?

Date last updated: 
06 Jun 2012

Have a question? Need to talk?

Our helpline is currently closed, find out when it’s next open.

Or submit your question via our Ask the Expert online service