All women will have a different experience of the menopause. Some will barely notice any symptoms, while others will need medications to help them cope. There are a wide range of possible symptoms, but the most common are hot flushes and night sweats.
Common symptoms include:
- Hot flushes
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
- Low mood
- Mood changes and irritability
- Lowered sex drive (libido)
- Dry skin, hair and nails
- Bone thinning (osteoporosis)
- Vaginal dryness and discomfort during sex
- Psychological effects such as poor memory, loss of confidence and low self esteem
- Passing urine more often and increased risk of urinary infections
- Breast changes
- Aches and pains.