(0)
0 Items £0.00

Diagnosed with AIS

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SPetty
Diagnosed with AIS

I was recently diagnosed with AIS with clear margins, doctor has given me the choice of watching it with colcospy every six months if I want to reserve my fertility or go ahead with hysterectomy. My husband and I just had our first child together and I have two other children, we would like to have another together but wanted to wait a few years before trying. My question is or would like thoughts on if I wait what kind of risk am I taking of getting cancer. I would love to have another baby but I don't want to risk possibly getting cancer because I waited to long. Just would like some feedback and see if others have faced this decision. And maybe some more information on AIS as there is not a lot of information on the web about it.

Lauras85

Hi. I didn't have AIS but stage 1a2 adenocarcinoma. I struggled with the same decision you have to make now and it is so so tough. They said I could have another loop and follow up in colposcopy or a simple hysterectomy or simple trachelectomy. Like you I have a child from a previous relationship and one with my husband. We would have liked one more. In the end I went for the hysterectomy just because I am a real worrier and I thought that was the safest option for my children's sake. With AIS I think the colposcopy route is a lot more common from what I have read. Your gynaecologist should be able to tell you how much more/ if any more risk is associated with this. My gynae told me that if I wanted to have another child the advice would be to do it quite quickly after treatment. In the end only you can make the decision based on what is right for your family but it isn't easy. Just do as much research as you can and ask as many questions as you can so that you can make an informed decision. Good luck xx

SPetty

Thank you so much for your advice and story. After talking with my husband and reading everything I could online I think I'm going to wait till next colcospy which is February 19, 2019 and if it is clear than we will try for another baby if not I'm going for the hysterectomy. I think my mind may change but for now that's the plan, maybe the leep they did got it. Wishful thinking!

Lauras85

I think that is very wise and hopefully it has got it all. It's quite possible. Will keep everything crossed for you. Xx

Tivoli
Tivoli's picture

Hi :-)

Your doctor will not endanger your life. If your doctor thinks it is safe to wait and watch then it is safe to wait and watch. When your doctor says no, we have to stop this now and get on with treatment, then that is what you have to do, but there is no need to jump the gun. Your doctors will not gamble with your life nor their careers/reputation.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

More Information

Cervical cancer