0 Items £0.00

Starting a new job? What happens if it's bad news

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Starting a new job? What happens if it's bad news

I've been lurking for a few weeks now. Bit of back ground. I had my daughter young, I was 17, I had a few smears around then, but they stopped doing them after that as the law changed. When I finally got called back again, it came up with CIN3. I had it treated LLETZ. At the time I really didn't think much about it. It wasn't really explained to me what it meant, or what it was. I just did as I was told by the hospital. I lived away from my main family as my other half was military. I had quite a few huge bleeds after and had to get it checked out at hospital. I was told it was one of those things. 

The last smear I had was fine and I went back to 3 yearly. However, my last recall I missed. I was running my own business and needed to be in the shop constantly - the hours were crazy. On and off over the last year or so I've had my periods acting up. I thought I was just reaching the start of the menopause, my mum was 32 when she started. So at 35 I brushed it off. However, the last 4 months or so I have had bleeding some very light, some small clots inbetween my periods, and when I do get a period it's incredibly heavy.

I tried to book a smear at my local surgery and was told I couldn't get in for another 3 months, so I had to go to their sister surgery in another town. I'm now just waiting for the results. The nurse advised me that it would be 2 weeks as normal. 

But during all this I had decided to close my business and get full time employment, we're buying our first house together and we need the guarenteed income. I got a job offer last week. Which I accepted. If the results come back and it's not good, what do I do about work?

If you've only been there a handful of weeks will they look badly on you asking for time off? I had one interview that told me I had to declare my health before I could be employed, and that was at a school. The one I accepted I don't start till 29th October, but could they let me go during my 6 months probation period if I have to have time off?

Sorry it's a long post, but I am quite worried about the money at the moment, espcially as we need to put a lot in to the new house, it's 200 years old and is listed. I don't want to let the family down by loosing the new job as soon as I start it.

Thank you for your thoughts


Laura xx



I had a slightly similar situation when I was called in for my cone biospy in that I had an interview for a new job a couple of days later. I was then unfortauntely told I needed further surgery so had to delay my start date for my new job. I think any employer would understand this type of issue but it isnt easy to talk about and I totally understand your concerns. I hope the results dont take too long and fingers crossed for you they will be ok! xx

2010 clear

2013 wrongly reported clear, moderate changes later found during audit in 2017

2016 Oct 13 - early stage cancer diagnosis

Oct 31 Cone Biopsy

Nov 16 staged 1B1 decided on trachelectomy 

Nov 21 trach and lymph node removal

Dec 7 results all clear 

More Information

Cervical cancer