0 Items £0.00

Awaiting results

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Awaiting results


Hi all,


The last few months have been difficult however I am remaining positive.


It all began when I saw the nurse for my first cervical smear, unfortunately she was not able to carry out the test due to seeing a fleshy lump on my cervix. I was booked a doctor's appointment for the following Monday and confirmation was given; I had a cervical polyp with a referral being made.


I was seen at the hospital and the cervical polyp was removed and sent for testing. They were able to carry out a smear test after too which I was pleased to have done as this is what I originally was due to have.


I received a letter informing my smear test came back with abnormal cells found and a colposcopy would be carried out. I attended this appointment on Tuesday and informed I had severe cell changes (I didn't really get this as it was my first smear test however could be the way they grade rather than from comparing to any previous result). Originally, she was going to take two biopsies but ended up taking three to cover the area. She mentioned beforehand I may be treated with the LLETZ procedure, however did not carry this out. I would have to wait to hear back from the results of the biopsies so I am in limbo until then. The cervical polyp results have not come back yet.


Unfortunately, my nan (maternal) had ovarian cancer (secondary bowel) and passed away after a two-year battle (way before I was born), my mum has been advised to have a hysterectomy recently as shadowing indicating pre-cancer on her fallopian tubes. My mother’s cousin has been fighting breast cancer over the last year and required a mastectomy. Although on my father’s side, my paternal nan passed away from bowel cancer a few years ago after a two-year battle. I have always been one to keep on top of my health and as soon as I was offered the smear test I booked in.


Just feel in limbo and just want to know what this could potentially mean for me moving forward. With cancer affecting my family it is hard as although I am open in talking however, I have also been sensitive around the subject as I do not want to cause unnecessary worry. My partner has been very supportive but again leaves uncertainty and we would like children in the near future, naturally anything do to with the reproductive system causes concern.

Would be nice to get other people's thoughts, experience and any advice. Thanks :)


Hi Echo, 

So sorry for your reasons for joining this amazing site that has really helped so many of us going through the same thing. The waiting for biopsy results is truly torturous. I was initally diagnosed after a bad hemorrhage with very large clots (1 missed smear test) and had the LLETZ done at colposcopy. I was told by consultant that the mass on my cervix was large and looked bad. Also had MRI/CT scan done.  Sadly we are programmed to think the very worst and I had already decided in my head that I must be very advanced. Just received results today and although it is cervical cancer I'm a stage 1b2. I can't tell you not to worry because it's so hard to function normally with a possible diagnosis looming. All I can do is to reiterate what the other wonderful ladies on this site said to me and that's the fact that we are strong, independent, amazing women and waiting for results is possibly the worst part of the journey. Once you know what you are dealing with (if anything) and have a plan in place you will be able to think straight again. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to, there is a super bunch of ladies on here that have lots of great advice. 

X Maria

Diagnosed CC 01st August 2019 Stage 1b2 with 1 local lymph node involved. Something else showed up on pet scan. Treatment delayed for surgery, done on September 9th. Found to be a simple ovarian cyst, 1 ovary and tube removed. Treatment plan 5 chemo, 25 radio and 4 brachy. Treatment start date 02nd October 2019. Treatment end date 8th November.

10th February 2020

MRI and Pet-CT clear. NED

3 monthly scans



Hi Maria,

Thank you for replying and sharing your experience.

The waiting is very difficult, this all began in April for me and now here we are in August! Just wish the process was faster but understand they have so many other people's biposies etc to anaysle. Going back to your colposcopy that must have been very worrying to hear and then having to wait for confirmation of what the result is must have been very hard. Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with cervical cancer and I hope the journey ahead for you goes as best as it can be. I feel silly for worrying as the outcome could be okay. I agree, I think until results are back nothing will be clear so the worry will continue.

All the best x


Echo that’s a horribly long time waiting to find out if there is anything wrong. I’ve been really lucky with how quickly things have been done. I know there are so many others who are not as lucky. Currently I’m waiting on a PET scan to hopefully rule out lymph node involvement but this wait is not as hard as I have an idea of what I’m dealing with. Don’t feel silly for worrying, it’s a really difficult time waiting to hear outcomes. Fingers crossed for you that you will get word soon. X

Diagnosed CC 01st August 2019 Stage 1b2 with 1 local lymph node involved. Something else showed up on pet scan. Treatment delayed for surgery, done on September 9th. Found to be a simple ovarian cyst, 1 ovary and tube removed. Treatment plan 5 chemo, 25 radio and 4 brachy. Treatment start date 02nd October 2019. Treatment end date 8th November.

10th February 2020

MRI and Pet-CT clear. NED

3 monthly scans



Hi Echo

You’ve had a really tough time! It’s excellent that you have a supportive partner,and this site is amazing. I know I’ve been lucky enough to have some fab support from women on here.

The waiting is absolutely the worst,you’ve probably read that in other posts. 

Hopefully you’ll have some answers soon and you can move forwards.

The grading of the cells at a smear depend on what they see under the microscope. So I’d assume they’ve seen high grade cell changes on the samples. It’s important to know that a smear is a screening test and not diagnostic. The biopsies will give you an accurate result. 


11th March 2019- 1st ever abnormal smear. (Never missed a smear)

1st May 2019 - Colposcopy with LLETZ

9th May 2019 - diagnosis ?1B Villoglandular adenocarcinoma and high grade CGIN;

22nd and 23rd May 2019 - MRI/CT

29th May - MDT meeting. MRI/CT clear. Amount of tumour 1A stage.

13th June 2nd LLETZ with top hat procedure 

3rd July Confirmed staging 1A1, clear margins on 2nd LLETZ. Scheduled for laparoscopic hysterectomy, keeping ovaries.

29/8/19 Total Laproscopic hysterectomy with ovarian conservation.

26/9/19 pathology confirms NED:-)

18/3/20 1st follow up including vault smear 


So I decided to contact the hospital to check if my results had come back. My consultant is on holiday this week and next week so my letter would arrive later. I have been told I would require treatment and mentioned CIN2 but kept things brief as she wants the consultant to dictate the results properly. She said she could book my next appointment with her on the system.

I am not 100% sure if I want to go ahead with the LLETZ treatment as I have researched further and looked at women’s personal experiences too. I know it’s not all bad. I think because I’m so young and have no children I wouldn’t want any complications for years to come in regards to periods and pregnancy. Just feel so unsure and I don’t think all this worrying has done my partner any good! Should I hold off or should I look at alternative treatments, although these have potential risks too, are questions going through my mind as well as should I really leave abnormal cells?! 

Hope things have been going well for you all. Just feel so unsure about things moving forward. 


The treatment management of CIN2 is less clear cut than CIN1 or CIN3. It is important that you discuss your results with your consultant and tell them that you are unsure about proceeding straight to lletz. It will also depend on the area of your cervix affected as to what they recommend. A small area removed by lletz should have no effect on the competency of your cervix.

To give you some idea, studies show that 50% of CIN2 regresses within 2 years whereas 18% will progress to greater abnormalities. 5% of CIN2 progresses to invasive cancer with a time period of 10 - 20 years.

The cells will only regress if your body clears the HPV infection. You can help your immune system by taking steps to improve your general health but there are no alternative treatments. Any homeopath/naturopath who claims there is, is just trying to take your money.

I would be guided by the consultant but recommend writing down all the questions you need answering before your appointment  

Good luck x


Thank you, yes I agree with discussing things further with my consultant. I know HPV is the common cause of abnormal cell changes although no results so far have indicated HPV being present, I know there are many forms too.

CIN2 does make you wonder whether to watch and wait rather than going ahead with treatment. I know any procedure can have risks but when it’s something to do with reproductive health it does worry me. Being young I wouldn’t want changes to periods in regards to getting worse or being all over the place and wanting children (although I know women have been okay after to go on to have children) I just want to get all the pros and cons first. 


With HPV - from my experience  - if you have CIN2 or CIN3 they don't bother testing the sample for HPV as they assume it is present (something like 99% of cases)

I had lletz (Mine was CIN3 and my life situation is somewhat different to yours) and will be tested for HPV at my screening after 6 months.

Good luck whatever you decide. 

More Information

Abnormal cervical cells and treatment

Read about HPV