BrowseAloud is a speech tool that you can download for free and use on our website. It reads the website content out loud, highlighting each word as it is spoken in a high quality, human-sounding voice and in a range of languages. More than 7,000 websites use BrowseAloud, so once you have it on your device you can listen to all of these websites too.
What can BrowseAloud do?
- Read aloud selected text or a whole web page
- Read from online PDFs and Word documents
- Highlight text as it is read, or show it in a separate window in a choice of fonts and colours
- Read and translate in a variety of languages
- Find a dictionary definition of a selected word
- Read in a range of voices and accents
- Save audio to an mp3 file, for listening away from the computer.
Who is BrowseAloud for?
- Anyone who has difficulty reading text on websites or who finds it tiring – for example, people with dyslexia or those who just don’t want to read online for longer than they have to.
- It is great for people with mild visual difficulties – but it does not replace the screen readers used by blind students.
- People who do not speak English and those who do as a second language and may find it helpful to listen to pronunciation and read the text at the same time.
Listen to this website with BrowseAloud
Whether you are using a Smartphone, Tablet, PC or Mac, BrowseAloud will provide the reading support tools you require, free of charge.
Click on the BrowseAloud logo that appears on the top left hand corner of every page of this website to launch the BrowseAloud Plus toolbar. This toolbar provides instant high quality speech at the touch of a button - no need to download anything.
To use BrowseAloud's fully-featured version, which includes a dictionary, an MP3 maker, a text magnifier and reads secure web pages and PDFs, visit the BrowseAloud website to download a small application at www.browsealoud.com/getbrowsealoud
Browsealoud is free to download and use.
To download BrowseAloud, visit BrowseAloud's downloads page.
You can find comprehensive download help in Browsealoud’s download support page.
Support using BrowseAloud
BrowseAloud provide a really useful Support section where you can find information about downloading, an FAQ, video tour, a PC guide and a Mac guide.
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 0800 328 7910
Further information on accessibility
More information on how to make your browsing experience easier is available for the BBC's My Web My Way website. This includes advice and help for those who may benefit from making changes to their browser, operating system or computer to be able to view the web in a more accessible way.