Did you know that cervical screenings save 5,000 lives a year yet one in five women who are eligible for screening do not take up their invitation and for young women aged 25-29 this rises to one in three.
Put Yourself In The Picture on cervical cancer by uploading a selfie or existing picture into your chosen picture frame, click upload so you can feature in our online picture gallery and share your photo with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter.
You can also make your pledge to attend a cervical screening and reduce your risk of developing cervical cancer.
Not on Facebook or Twitter? Click here to make your pledge.
When will I be invited for cervical screening?
You will be invited for cervical screening every 3 to 5 years dependent on your age. In England, Northern Ireland and Wales screening starts at 25 and ends at 64, in Scotland it is 20 to 60. To be invited you need to be registered with a GP, who needs to have your current address on file.You can book your appointment at your GP or a sexual health clinic.
Tips for attending a cervical screening:
- First time or nervous? Tell the sample taker
- Worried about discomfort? Ask the sample taker to use a smaller speculum
- Feeling embarrassed? Wear a skirt as you can keep this on during the test
- Try to relax and distract your mind
- Don’t want to go alone? Take a friend to wait in the waiting room with you.
- Not sure what to expect? Call our helpline (0808 802 8000).